Investing in the latest dental technology is just one of the ways in which New York City cosmetic dentist Michael Kosdon, DDS helps ensure patients receive the best possible care. The numerous advancements in laser techniques have revolutionized the way many periodontal, cosmetic, restorative, and general dentistry procedures are performed. Laser dentistry can simultaneously maximize patient comfort during the procedure, while accelerating recovery time. These lasers are particularly useful when treating the soft tissues of the mouth.
Benefits of Laser Dentistry
Lasers have changed many common dental procedures for the betterment of both the dentist and the patient. Compared to more traditional techniques, the benefits of laser dentistry may include:
- Improved accuracy and precision
- Reduced post-operative discomfort and swelling
- Accelerated healing
- Minimized risk of bacterial infection
- Optimized aesthetic results
For soft tissue treatments, Dr. Kosdon can use laser dentistry to greatly minimize – or in some cases eliminate – bleeding. Laser techniques can typically also reduce the overall procedure time, improving your comfort and reducing the length of your appointment.
Procedures that Utilize Laser Dentistry
At Dr. Kosdon’s practice, state-of-the-art lasers are used for a wide range of common and popular procedures, including:
- Tooth-colored fillings: When a laser is focused on the surface of the tooth before a filling is placed, the tooth can be easily disinfected. In addition, lasers can reduce the time it takes for a filling to harden, abbreviating the total length of the procedure.
- Periodontal treatment: For patients who have periodontal (gum) disease, a dental laser can disinfect pockets within the gum tissue, eliminate damaged tissue, and seal the pocket for a faster recovery. This procedure allows healthy gum tissue to reattach to the tooth.
- Dental implants: By incorporating laser dentistry into the dental implant procedure, patients may experience reduced inflammation, minimized risk of bacterial infection, and accelerated healing of the gum tissue – ultimately improving the success rate and results of the procedure.
- Gum recontouring: For the treatment of a “gummy smile” or to lengthen the appearance of “short teeth,” Dr. Kosdon can use laser dentistry to artfully contour excess gum tissue for a more proportionate, beautiful smile.
- Tooth desensitization: For patients who seek to reduce tooth sensitivity when eating or drinking cold or sweet foods, dental lasers can seal exposed tubules that often cause this type of discomfort.
Laser dentistry can also be used to enhance the results of teeth cleanings and perform treatments to remove oral lesions or ulcers. During the consultation process, Dr. Kosdon will review your laser dentistry options and help you decide if these innovative techniques can be used to your advantage.
To learn more about how laser dentistry can help you achieve your goals, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kosdon, please contact our practice.