When visible front teeth end up with multiple fillings that require replacement, it may be wise to consider custom porcelain crowns that can provide lasting strength, protection, and aesthetic enhancement. There are many benefits that porcelain crowns can offer patients with this type of dental challenge:
- Porcelain crowns can whiten the appearance of visible teeth with dark metal fillings. Crowns designed by our cosmetic dentist—Dr. Michael Kosdon—are created with shade-matched, stain-resistant ceramic material that blends with your surrounding teeth.
- High-quality porcelain crowns that are properly cared for can last for decades without needing to be replaced. All fillings—even tooth-colored fillings, which are more aesthetically pleasing than metal fillings—generally become old, can break, and/or eventually fail within two to ten years (lifespan depends on a variety of factors). Weaknesses in fillings can create an entry for cavity-causing bacteria, which further damage healthy tooth material and could result in the need for a root canal.
- Decay compromises the strength and structure of teeth—especially front teeth, which lack the additional tooth mass and structure molars have. With placement of a crown, instead of replacing fillings, the strength and structure of your teeth can be restored and, in many cases, become even stronger than before.
- Incisors that have changed shape because of injury, decay, and/or fillings (or were never an ideal shape to begin with) can achieve a more perfected shape with placement of porcelain crowns. Dr. Kosdon can create a custom-designed crown that not only strengthens your tooth but gives it an optimal size and shape that enhances the overall look of your smile.
- Front teeth that are damaged or have more than just small fillings may not be ideally suited for porcelain veneers; instead, Dr. Kosdon may recommend highly aesthetic crowns that address your cosmetic goals and dental health needs. Using porcelain crowns in these instances, you can achieve the same degree of cosmetic enhancements you desire from porcelain veneers. In addition, porcelain veneers may be placed on surrounding healthy teeth to complete a comprehensive smile makeover!
Do you have more questions about improving the strength, health, and aesthetics of your front teeth that have fillings? If so, contact our practice to schedule a consultation with Dr. Kosdon. During your appointment, Dr. Kosdon can explain the best approach for transforming your smile with porcelain crowns or other suitable cosmetic dentistry options.
Editor’s note: The original version of this post was published on January 10, 2019.